Vocational Assessments

We've all looked upon that precious new baby of ours and wondered aloud, "Wonder what she/he will be when they grow up?" As the years pass, simply getting them through one grade and into the next seems the priority. Around their senior year of High School it strikes us, "They're never leaving home!"..."What plans do you have for your future?"..."Did you take the right courses to enter that field?". Usually this comes with a response of, "I dunno", or "chill out Dad, I've decided to either be a cab driver or a brain surgeon". This is what is referred to in my household as the Jethro Bodine Syndrome!

Obviously none of this is our fault. One day she's a frolicking little baby in her crib, the next day she's 18 years old. We just didn't have the time within those 2 days to prepare for their future...well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

For those of you whose children are taking longer than a couple of days from infancy to adulthood, perhaps you should consider ways in which to avoid the Bodine Syndrome!


What the Law (IDEA) says for children with Disabilities!

(b) Transition services. The IEP must include—

(1) For each student with a disability beginning at age 14 (or younger, if determined appropriate by the IEP team), and updated annually, a statement of the transition service needs of the student under the applicable components of the student's IEP that focuses on the student's courses of study (such as participation in advanced-placement courses or a vocational education program); and

(2) For each student beginning at age 16 (or younger, if determined appropriate by the IEP team), a statement of needed transition services for the student, including, if appropriate, a statement of the interagency responsibilities or any needed linkages.


§300.24 Related services.

(11) Rehabilitation counseling services means services provided by qualified personnel in individual or group sessions that focus specifically on career development, employment preparation, achieving independence, and integration in the workplace and community of a student with a disability. The term also includes vocational rehabilitation services provided to a student with disabilities by vocational rehabilitation programs funded under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended.

§300.29 Transition services.

(a) As used in this part, transition services means a coordinated set of activities for a student with a disability that-

(1) Is designed within an outcome-oriented process, that promotes movement from school to post-school activities, including postsecondary education, vocational training, integrated employment (including supported employment), continuing and adult education, adult services, independent living, or community participation;

(2) Is based on the individual studentĖs needs, taking into account the studentĖs preferences and interests; and

(3) Includes-

(i) Instruction;

(ii) Related services;

(iii) Community experiences;

(iv) The development of employment and other post-school adult living objectives; and

(v) If appropriate, acquisition of daily living skills and functional vocational evaluation.

(b) Transition services for students with disabilities may be special education, if provided as specially designed instruction, or related services, if required to assist a student with a disability to benefit from special education.

(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1401(30))

§300.348 Agency responsibilities for transition services.

(a) If a participating agency, other than the public agency, fails to provide the transition services described in the IEP in accordance with §300.347(b)(1), the public agency shall reconvene the IEP team to identify alternative strategies to meet the transition objectives for the student set out in the IEP.

(b) Nothing in this part relieves any participating agency, including a State vocational rehabilitation agency, of the responsibility to provide or pay for any transition service that the agency would otherwise provide to students with disabilities who meet the eligibility criteria of that agency.

(Authority: 20 U.S.C. 1414(d)(5); 1414(d)(1)(A)(vii)

Children Without Disabilities!

There's absolutely no difference in that every child needs to be afforded the opportunity to be a success. Your child's guidance counselor has extensive knowledge and materials to benefit where your child's direction should start.

Kentucky Education Rights

256 Abbey Road
Versailles, Kentucky 40383
Telephone: (859) 983-9222
E-mail: kerc@edrights.com